We’re Motor. Our mission is to accelerate the decarbonization of personal mobility by making it easier to drive electric.
Motor partners with utilities to accelerate consumer adoption of electric vehicles. Motor engages customers in every step of their EV journey and we’ve worked with hundreds of new EV drivers to align the ideal EV driver journey with optimal grid outcomes.
We are an early stage company and raised a $7 million Series A round in Q1 2023. We are headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and operate in Indiana and Vermont..
Motor is looking for a highly motivated Founding Engineer to join our team and lay the technical and cultural foundation for our engineering discipline. As an early technical team member you will report to the VP of Product & Technology and work across the organization to develop our core product and architecture.
You must thrive in a fast-paced environment with a certain level of ambiguity and set your own structure as you interact and play a role within many teams from product to design to customer support. You will have the opportunity to set the bar in terms of technical execution and quality, as well as how we grow the team. A founding engineer will own and balance delivering in the present with laying the foundation for the future.
- Hands-on coding to build, deliver and own features end to end including technical design, implementation, analytics and reliability at scale
- Balance trade-offs between speed of execution with quality and technical debt to drive speed to market and product-market fit
- Play a lead role in selecting SaaS and other technical tools and manage integrations and collaboration with vendors
- Collaborate closely with Motor team members to align technology development, product vision and business and operational goals
- Maintain, migrate or scale existing platforms and integrations
- Grow the engineering team with a clear cultural and technical direction
- Strong alignment with Motor’s mission
- Great collaborator, strong communication and leadership skills
- Significant experience in a software startup environment
- 2-5 years of experience in a software engineering role
- Strong understanding of SaaS, cloud technology, and full-stack web development, including trade offs across options, e.g. GCP, React, Node.js, Python, RoR
- A flexible mindset and ability to work across stacks
- Demonstrated ability to lead and delivery technical projects and technical mentorship
- Arlington, VA location on a 2 day office + 3 day remote schedule
- Knowledge of API design patterns, including RESTful APIs, GraphQL, messaging-based APIs, and other architectural integration patterns
- Understanding of architecture discipline, processes and concepts such as managing performance and reliability
- Success in a zero-to-one environment
- Recruiting, hiring, and retaining technical talent
- Familiarity with user-centered design thinking techniques and processes
- Target Salary Range: $120,000-$150,000/year. Equity considerations appropriate to a founding role. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location
- Unlimited PTO and benefits including medical & dental insurance
- A startup atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A fun and inclusive working environment
- A meaningful mission, and a team dedicated to pursuing it
If you are interested in applying, please apply here.
Motor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Safety comes first at Motor. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, Motor requires all newly-hired people or current Motor people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.